This year, earthday.org is focusing their theme on reaching 2 Billion Acts of Green. Commit your act of green by telling earthday.org what you are doing to save the earth!
Need some ideas? Here are a few to help reduce your ecological footprint:
- Purchase products that use less packaging and those you do purchase should be made out of post-consumer recycled materials.
- Take less vacations involving air travel.
- Carpool and purchase vehicles with better fuel economy.
- Buy locally produced food (less packaging, trasport costs and the like mean a smaller footprint).
- Plant a fruit/vegetable garden and compost organic materials (zero packaging or transport costs).
- Plan the week’s meals in advance to cut down on food waste, trips to the market and impulse buying.
- Buy second-hand items and donate or sell your unwanted appliances, clothes, books and furniture.
- Lower your thermostat by 4 degrees (and program it to stay low!)
- Recycle (list of recyclables from the EPA).
- Use the green option from your public utilities provider.
Or, try some of these other ideas for living green.
You can also take the footprint calculator quiz to measure your ecological footprint. The calculator measures how much land it would take to support your lifestyle based on the country’s average consumption profile.